Thursday, February 3, 2011

Turn it Off Thursdays....

Hey gang! I've decided to TRY a little experiment. I'll be honest... I don't know if I can do it. I really don't. I'm going to try although this week is not the best to start it, I admit! The kids have been sick so our TV's, Nintendo's, Leapster, etc have been running more than usual!

But I'd like to start trying a TURN IT OFF THURSDAY! What this means, is, basically, turn off all the unnecessary electronics. I realize this is a huge feat, so I'm going to start small. Limiting myself to checking the businesses just 2x each Thursday (1x in the morning, 1x in the evening). Making sure blog posts, team events, etc are all handled before Thursday. Limiting the children's electronics will be interesting, especially since one is still recovering from the flu.....

I'll allow myself to read my kindle, because to me, that's something I should do more, and part of why I want to do Turn it Off Thursdays. I need a day to retreat, read, create, rejuvenate!

This idea was inspired by two handmade friends :) Danyel of Crazy Socks Crochet does Pajama Thursdays. Heather of Heather's Custom Sewing does a No Internet time.I love these girls, and they're right..WE NEED TO UNPLUG!

What also made me think is this YouTube video someone found....Today Show hosts asking in 1994 "What is the internet?"

1994. Really. I was in high school. I remember learning to program on DOS. Now kids can't imagine life without twitter, facebook, or a world where "google" was not a verb. You can see the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUs7iG1mNjI

It just seems like the world wide web has "always" been around. But it *GASP* hasn't! We survived before without it, we can survive without it again, if we remember to keep it in check. (yes, I do recognize the irony of me writing yet another "unplug" post while you read my BLOG...on the net.....)

So maybe you'll join me on cutting things off once a week or month? Choose something you THINK you can't live without (cell, net, ipod, tv, kindle, etc) and see how it feels to live without it a day. What else can you get accomplished in that time?

Me, I plan to enjoy some time sewing, reading, and just unplugging---everything! (except music...I need my music....)

Will you unplug with me?

~mama


4 comments:

rose AKA Walk in the Woods - she/her said...

Good for you!

I adore my UnPlugged days! They are freeing, restorative, healing … and making it a weekly discipline is something I shall revisit. I used to do it religiously (as they say). Now … just a couple times a months.

THANK YOU for holding up such a valuable mirror. ♡

~~Sew Happy Designs~~ said...

It sounds like a great plan, I do have to unplug some days myself to gain some sanity and solice.

Heather said...

Thanks for the little 'plug' to my blog. pun intended. lol I'm glad you're spreading the word! I've switched my days to Sunday & find it so much more relaxing to do it on the weekend because I'm not worried about business things like I was on the weekdays. :) Good luck unplugging!

Amy said...

I failed miserably this Thursday, because Eli was still home sick. So Max and Ruby played ALL day and I had to connect online to keep from losing my mind! LOL Sunday is good day for me to do it too...I may change my days! LOL

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails