Sunday, December 25, 2011

Crochet Kindle Cover--Free Tutorial

Hey all! This is my FIRST EVER crochet pattern! So, please, be kind! And PLEASE, PLEASE feel free to leave any comments, suggestions, corrections, etc! I will be doing this again with a different yarn to make sure it doesn't make a tremendous difference. Keep in mind, I've only been hooking since the summer.. :)



Basically the stitch is from Coats and Clark pattern found HERE. If you can do this stitch, you can alter this anyway you need for your E-Reader, Tablet, etc.

I chose to line this with some scrap felt because even though it was a gift for a friend who rarely takes her Kindle away from home, this stitch does leave little 'holes' in it, and I thought the felt would be an extra touch of protection. The stitch itself is quite fluffy so that helps a lot. Again, the lining is optional.

This is intended for the original keyboard style Kindle, I do not know the dimensions of the other kindles, nooks, etc. But you can easily adjust the pattern for your item.

This pattern is free, and please feel free to share (and correct if it's wrong.) And by golly if you can make some money selling these bad boys are a derivative there of, go for it. A link back would be nice yarn karma for you though :)



Let's Get Hookin!!

Yarn: Vanna's Choice from Lion Brand. Any Worsted Weight should do fine.
Hook: US Size H
Gauge: I admit, I never look at, read, or care about gauge. I'm crazy like that. My Kindle was my gauge. According to the original pattern I based this on:
GAUGE: In pattern, 5 puff sts = 5”; 9 rows = 4”. CHECK YOUR
GAUGE. Use any size hook to obtain the gauge.

*Special Stitch Notes:
Puff Stitch: Puff: Work (sc, 2 dc) in same st.

Chain 17. (this is based on MY original Kindle. If you have a larger or smaller device, you should do a few rows and hold it up to your device to check gauge.)

ROW ONE: 2dc in the 2nd ch from hook.
*skip next 2 ch, puff stitch in next ch;* repeat from *across to the last 3 ch, sk 2 ch, sc in last ch, turn.

ROW TWO: ch 1, 2 dc in 1st st. *skip 2 dc, puff st in next sc.* Repeat from * across, skip last 2 dc, sc in turning ch, turn.

Repeat row two until you reach Row 36 OR your desired height.

You are making one solid piece of 'fabric' that you will fold up and 'around' the kindle, allowing for a flap. For my Kindle, yarn, hook, and crochet style, I did a total of 36 ROWS. Please check this against your kindle, you may need to add or take away a few rows.

Fasten off and weave in ends.

At this point you can decide if you want your side seams showing, or on the inside. I wanted mine in the inside.

Lay your piece flat down and make a 'pocket' for the Kindle by folding the bottom up to about Row 14 or 15. You can adjust this for your preference, you are merely deciding how far down you want your flap to go. By "folding" on Row 15 or so, that leaves you about 6 rows as your "flap".

SS or SC the side to close your pocket on one side, about 30 rows. I did the SC. Fasten off and weave in.
Repeat on the other side to make a pocket for your kindle to slide into. (do not fasten off yet)

I wanted my SC seams to be on the inside, so I then turned it all rightside out. (this stitch looks pretty from both sides).

Since you didn't fasten off, you can now SC along the edge of the flap (OPTIONAL). If not, you can fasten off and weave in here.



OPTIONAL LINING:

I chose to insert a felt lining because this was for a friend, and this puff stitch is beautiful, but does leave little gaps. Should she spill something on the kindle, I wanted that little extra protection. I used felt because A) it was easily available in my home B) it doesn't fray much C) I could hand sew it all and didn't have to drag myself off the sofa.

Cut a piece of felt or similar fabric to fit inside your new crochet cover.

I folded mine and hand sewed a blanket stitch along the long side and bottom. Use any hand stitch you feel comfortable with.

Insert the felt lining directly into your crochet cover. Using a blanket stitch or similar hand stitch, hand sew the lining in the crochet cover. You can sew all the way down the sides and bottom, I did not, I only sewed the 'top' portion around the flap.

Secure the ends of your thread, and you're almost done!

Decide the placement of your button the OUTSIDE of the cover. Thanks to the stretchiness of this yarn and the looseness of this stitch, you have buttonholes inherently in your yarn! Find a good place for the button and hand sew it on! (Tip, when hand sewing shankless buttons, place a pin in between the two holes as you sew the button on. Remove the pin when you're finished sewing the button and you now have a little more 'room' for the button to move, without making it unsecure.)

Weave in any yarn, insert your kindle and go!! :)



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PLEASE feel free to leave any corrections, comments, oopsys, "you're totally wrong" comments!! If I did something wrong in the pattern, I really do want to fix it. Like I said above, it is based solely on the scarf pattern by Coats and Clark. I merely adjusted it to fit a kindle. This is a beautiful stitch pattern and can be used in a variety of ways!

Find me on Ravelry!

Happy Hooking!! :)
~~Amy


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pattern. I will be trying this out soon and will let you know how it went :)

Anonymous said...

It turned out great! What an easy stitch. I hadn't done a puff stitch yet. It looks so pretty. I didn't feel the need to line the case. I think it will be enough protection as is.

Amy said...

Thanks so much!! Glad it worked!! Yes, i love that stitch, it makes a beautiful scarf also! :) I'd love to see pics!!

Lazy Madonna said...

Hi, and thanks for the pattern! I've only taken up crochet in the past couple of weeks and this has just been my second project. Looks great and I'm very chuffed with myself!

Amy said...

You're very welcome!! :) Enjoy!

Mullin Avenue Workshop said...

Hi, Amy,
I found your instructions for a kindle cover while searching on Google. Your blog is a delight and I intend to become a regular reader here. I started crocheting a kindle cover several weeks ago, and then gave up, thinking I might purchase a book like cover, which I did through Amazon. Since I haven't yet received the purchased cover, this evening for something to do, I went back to my crochet project.
To make a long story short, I enjoyed your pattern and instruction the most of all the sites I checked.
(I am doing a similar pattern - although just using a double crochet stitch, and even planned a button closure. It was fun to read that you have invented a similar pattern). I was planning to make two pieces (front and back), but now think I'll make one piece and fold it over, as you suggest. I may make a felt lining as well. Many thanks for this easy to understand, creative post.

Your blog has a warm, and generous feel to it, and your personality comes through vividly.

I have 2 blogs, one an early childhood education blog, and one which was meant for creative writing, but tends to have a bit of everything I'm interested in.

I've taken up crocheting abit,this past year, and have made 1 baby blanket, and 6 scarves for Christmas gifts for the children I teach, and am just about finished another baby blanket , and my kindle cover.

I'm hoping to share your post over at my blog, and will let you know if I do.
All the very best,
Brenda

Amy said...

You're very welcome, glad you enjoyed! Feel free to share my post and the pattern on Ravelry. :)

I used to be an ECE teacher, small world! :)

mummy said...

OMG,this is beautiful!!I'll be hooking tomorrow:):)Thank you so much.It's going to be my second project cause I've just started crocheting.I'll post some photos as soon as I'm done.Thank you so much!
Alex

greenjello! said...

Just finished this up in green & it's gorgeous! Thanks so much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails